Gilles Podeur specialises in insolvency, restructuring, and related litigations. Gilles has extensive experience in French and cross-border pre-insolvency and insolvency proceedings, including mandat ad hoc, conciliation, sauvegarde, redressement judiciaire and liquidation judiciaire.
Gilles advises debtors, lenders, shareholders or managers in identifying and defining their strategy, which includes any necessary litigation i.e. in matters relating to managers' / shareholders' liability, lenders' liability or hardening periods.
In addition, Gilles assists bidders in the acquisition of insolvent businesses or any relevant assets.
Clifford Chance conseille les prêteurs de Primonial dans le cadre de son partenariat stratégique avec La Financière de l'Echiquier
4 December 2017
Clifford Chance conseille Cinven sur son financement pour l'acquisition de Labco
6 July 2015
Clifford Chance advises Bank of America Merrill Lynch in the refinancing of Coeur Defense, the largest property development in Europe, allowing its acquisition by Lone Star
9 April 2014
Clifford Chance conseille Bank of America Merrill Lynch dans le cadre du refinancement et de l'acquisition de Cœur Défense
9 April 2014
Clifford Chance conseille le Comité de Coordination des créanciers seniors dans la restructuration du groupe HIME / SAUR
11 October 2013
Commencement of Romanian main insolvency proceedings
6 July 2018
Final text for the Amended EU Regulation on Insolvency proceedings
10 December 2014
France: Recognition of Trusts and Parallel Debt structures
27 September 2011
Career and qualifications
- Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Diploma Economics & Finance) 1999
- University Paris II Pantheon-Assas (Licence and Maîtrise in Business Law) 2001
- University Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne (DEA in Business Law) 2002
- Admitted as an Avocat in Paris 2003
- Gide Loyrette Nouel (Insolvency & Restructuring) 2004
- White & Case (Insolvency & Restructuring) 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance 2008
- Counsel since 2012
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance stands out for its ability to handle complex cases including cross-border disputes and fiducie aspects. The six-lawyer team regularly acts for insolvency administrators and also represents debtors and creditors. It recently acted for the trustee in CGG's safeguard proceedings and assisted Agripole's bondholders with the restructuring of Agripole and William Saurin. Practice head Reinhard Dammann has extensive experience and academic knowledge of his field. Counsel Gilles Podeur is another key name."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2019
- Gilles Podeur is experienced in a range of mandates including restructuring negotiations, safeguard proceedings, insolvency procedures and related litigation. Clients say: "Podeur is very responsive in terms of speed and dealing with issues. He has a practical attitude and is pleasant to work with."
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2019
- "Clifford Chance has particular experience in advising on cross-border insolvencies and one-of-a-kind matters. In recent highlights, the group represented the trustee with regards to CGG’s French and US insolvency. Practice head Reinhard Dammann is frequently consulted by the European Commission to advise on EU insolvency law harmonisation. Counsel Gilles Podeur is also involved"
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2018
- "Gilles Podeur is valued by clients for his ability to "provide a good insight into our problems and propose inventive solutions." He is particularly well versed in corporate and financial restructurings, as well as insolvency and liquidation proceedings."
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2018
- "Clifford Chance has ‘an extremely available team with great experience’. The practice represents creditors, shareholders and debtors, often in the most complex matters. It has been assisting the French Ministries of Transport and Foreign Affairs with the insolvency of the high-speed rail concession between Perpignan and Figueras. The firm also represented Racing Club de Lens Football Club with its pre-pack sale. Reinhard Dammann is ‘a major influence to help change the current legal environment’. Counsel Gilles Podeur is also recommended."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2017
- Up-and-coming Gilles Podeur is active representing both creditors and lenders in restructuring proceedings. He also assists bidders with the acquisition of insolvent companies. Sources describe him as "a very technical lawyer who knows his stuff."
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring, 2017
- Counsel Gilles Podeur advises a wide range of clients on restructuring negotiations and insolvency-related litigation. He is regarded as a "rising star" of the practice.
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2016
- "Clifford Chance advises distressed companies and their shareholders, as well as lenders. The practice is regularly involved in cross-border matters. It is notably representing Austrian glass manufacturer Stoelzle-Oberglas in the restructuring of its French subsidiary STM. The practice is led by the highly experienced Reinhard Dammann and finance specialists Daniel Zerbib and counsel Gilles Podeur".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2016
- Restructuring and insolvency litigator Gilles Podeur is "highly thorough and thoughtful, and aggressive to the right degree," highlights a client.
Chambers Global, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2015
- "Bright and skilled" associate Gilles Podeur complements the team
Chambers Global, 2010