Gail Orton heads up our EU Public Policy practice, working out of the Brussels and Paris offices.
Gail has vast experience of working with the EU institutions and advising clients on various legislative and administrative processes. Prior to rejoining Clifford Chance in 2018, Gail spent four years working in-house, where she managed the pan-European government affairs strategy of a major agri-food business.
Gail is a member of the Political Change team.
- Advising a major European sugar business on the revision of the EU Regulation on the Single Common Market Organisation
- Advising a French retailer on a range of EU policies affecting the business, including the revised rules on data protection and proposals for new consumer legislation
- Advising an international business organisation on EU proposals for country-by-country reporting
- First impressions of the new EU Commission
24 September 2019
- Food for thought: The impact of Brexit on the food and healthcare sectors
11 June 2019
- Cannabis: a new high for regulation in Europe?
3 June 2019
- The EU's approach to Brexit
14 November 2018
EU finalises Sustainable Finance Taxonomy: New obligations for financial market participants and large public-interest entities
24 January 2020
The new European Commission 2019 - 2024
5 December 2019
Brexit: next steps
29 November 2019
The WTO Appellate Body crisis – A way forward?
19 November 2019
The EU Sustainable Finance Action Plan - Status Table: Progress and Next Steps
31 October 2019
Career and qualifications
- University of Edinburgh (MA Economics) 1998
- College of Europe, Bruges (Economics) 1999
- Stage in European Commission's DG Internal Market 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Seconded to Clifford Chance Paris 2010
- Tate & Lyle Sugars, Director of Government Affairs, Europe 2014
- Rejoined Clifford Chance Paris 2018