Emily Xueref-Poviac's practice encompasses all fields of Competition Law, both in advice and litigation.
Emily advises French and international clients in a wide variety of industrial sectors on EU and French competition law matters.
Emily has developed a strong and recognised expertise on foreign investment matters, that have become essential for a number of transactions in the rapidly evolving foreign investment review landscape. Emily has been advising on complex cases involving unique legal developments and is regularly consulted by the French authorities to offer opinions on reform proposals.
Emily has experience in a wide range of industries, including infrastructure, defense, energy, telecommunications, transportation, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, banking and finance.
- Merger control filings: pre-merger risk assessment, formal merger filings before the French Competition Authority, the European Commission and national competition authorities, coordinating multijurisdictional filings;
- Handling abuse of dominance cases before the French Competition Authority and the European Commission;
- Advising on horizontal and vertical agreements and distribution networks;
- Antitrust litigation matters;
- Handling several antitrust audits and numerous compliance training sessions;
- Regulatory issues (energy and transport).
News and client work
- Foreign Direct Investment Guide, The Evolving Concept of National Security, December 2021
- České dráhy, a.s. v European Commission : No Obligation for the Commission to Assess Exculpatory Evidence If There Is Already Sufficient Incriminating Evidence to Order an Inspection
- České dráhy, a.s. v European Commission : legality of Commission’s dawn raid, Emily Xueref-Poviac - Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, Volume 9, Issue 9, 1 December 2018, Pages 579–581
- Access to facilities in the energy sector: An overview of EU and national case law, Emily Xueref-Poviac, E-competitions N° 86419, 04 May 2018
Career and qualifications
- University Paris II, Panthéon-Assas (Master 2, Post Graduate Diploma in European Competition Law) 2007
- HEC Specialised Master (Advanced Graduate Diploma in Business Law and International Management) 2009
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance 2017
- Counsel since 2020
- Member of the Paris Bar
- Member of the French Association Avocats Pratiquant le Droit de la Concurrence
- Member of the Association Française d'Etude de la Concurrence
- Member of the Franco-British Lawyers Society
Awards and citations
- The antitrust team at Clifford Chance remains a market leader as its broad practice acting for major corporates involved in high-profile investigations, state aid procedures, damages claims and merger control cases at the EU and national levels attests. Headed by David Tayar, who leads on abuse of dominance and restrictive arrangement cases, and tech antitrust enforcement expert Katrin Schallenberg, the team’s client portfolio features an impressive list of household names, mainly from the sports, healthcare, tech, retail and energy sectors. Counsel and foreign investment specialist Emily Xueref-Poviac is another key name.
Practice head(s): David Tayar; Katrin Schallenberg
Other key lawyers: Emily Xueref-Poviac
Legal 500 EMEA, France, EU Competition & Distribution, 2022