Rais Amils specialises in litigation and intellectual property, antitrust and unfair competition matters.
Rais has experience in complex patent and trademark matters and litigations. She has also advised and represented clients in antitrust matters regarding commercial distribution and licensing agreements and the interplay between the enforcement of intellectual property rights and antitrust, and she has also been involved in damages claims for antitrust infringements. Rais has also been dealing with unfair competition litigations, apart from more general commercial litigations.
Rais lectures at several education centres like Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía (ISDE) and the Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB). She has also been invited to participate in several panels dealing with antitrust and intellectual property matters.
On July 2019 she was elected Member of the Board of the Antitrust and Intellectual Property Commission of the Barcelona Bar Association.
Relevant experience includes advising and representing:
- A variety of multinational firms in the pharmaceutical sector on the interplay between the enforcement of intellectual property rights and antitrust
- A multinational firm that was sanctioned by the European Commission for being involved in a cartel in the antitrust damage claim filed against it by one of its clients
- A variety of multinational firms in the pharmaceutical sector on several pre-litigation and litigation matters related to the industrial property rights protecting some of their most important medicinal products.
- A variety of multinational firms in the pharmaceutical sector on their defence in claims for damages derived from the imposition of preliminary injunctions.
- A multinational firm operating in the large-scale consumption sector on several pre-litigation and litigation matters related to its commercial agreements within its distribution network.
- A multinational firm operating in the large-scale consumption sector on the patent infringement proceedings it initiated in defence of its industrial property rights and on the antitrust counterclaim filed by the defendant for alleged abuse of dominant position.
News and client work
- "La legitimación pasiva en el cártel de los camiones: ¿Debe responder la filial por los daños generados por su matriz como consecuencia de una infracción del derecho de la competencia?", published in Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, CEFI, Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI), num. 88, September – December 2019.
- Author of Chapter 14 "Spain" in "The Intellectual Property and Antitrust Review"
The Law Reviews, 4 ed., August 2019
- "La Directiva ECN+: armonización de los poderes de las autoridades nacionales para una aplicación más efectiva del derecho europeo de defensa de la competencia" publicado en Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia, CEFI, Instituto de Derecho y Ética Industrial (IDEI), num. 86, January – April 2019.
- Author of Chapter "12. IP Law and Pharmaceuticals: Patents and Supplementary Protection Certificates in the Pharmaceutical Sector" in "EU Law of Competition and Trade in the Pharmaceutical Sector", Elgar Competition Law and Practice series, coord. Pablo Figueroa and Alejandro Guerrero Pérez, Edward Elgar Publishing, June 2019.
- Global Intellectual Property Newsletter – Clifford Chance, Issue 9/18, "The Barcelona Court of Appeal clarifies that "Swiss-Claims" were not affected by the Spanish reservation to the EPC"
Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, September 2018.
- Sep/Frand And Other Ip Topics
Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, June 2018
- "The new Spanish Patent Act regulates compulsory licensing as a remedy for anticompetitive practices", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, December 2017
- "Beware antitrust law when assigning or licensing a technology. An overview of Commission Regulation (EU) no. 316/2014 on technology licensing and transfer agreements", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, December 2017
- Rais regularly publishes articles in specialised journals and participates in seminars, conferences, and courses on antitrust, unfair competition, intellectual property and litigation.
- "Se estrecha el cerco a los cárteles: transposición en España de la Directiva 2014/104/UE de daños y perjuicios por infracciones del Derecho de la competencia", Client briefing, May 2017
- "Geo-blocking practices and other forms of discrimination in online sales in the spotlight of the European Commission", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, September 2016
- "European Union: Does the enforcement of a standard essential patent qualify as an abuse of a dominant position?", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, January 2015
- "EU Proposal for a Trade Secrets Directive", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, May 2014
- "European Union: New wave of European Court of Justice decisions regarding Supplementary Protection Certificates", Global Intellectual Property Newsletter, February 2014
Career and qualifications
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Law) 2000
- College of Europe (LLM, Master of European Law) 2001
- Admitted as an abogado in Barcelona 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Universitat Central de Barcelona (Diploma de Estudios Avanzados (DEA)) 2005
Awards and citations
- Listed as "Next generation lawyer" by Legal 500 in 2017-2019 for Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation
- Awarded the “Extraordinary Prize for Graduation in Law” for the top-ranked student when finalising her studies in 2000