Fernando Giménez-Alvear specialises in litigation and arbitration. He has acted in all types of judicial, mediation and arbitration proceedings before both national and international courts.
Fernando is member of the insurance group of the firm and has extensive experience in conflicts in the insurance sector and disputes related to distribution and agency agreements, M&A and Real Estate transactions, Corporate Law, antitrust and unfair competition.
- Representing a member of the Spanish consortium of the Haramain High Speed Railway Project in arbitration proceedings before the ICC related to sales consultancy services.
- Representing a telecommunications company in a portfolio of disputes with several of its commercial agents following the termination of the relevant agency relationships.
- Representing a Panamanian financial institution in mediation proceedings vis-à-vis its IT supplier in relation to the poor performance of banking software.
- Representing an international aerospace group in several arbitration proceedings before the ICC regarding consultancy agreements reached with its commercial advisors.
- Representing an international company insured by a W&I policy in arbitration before the ICC against the insurer in order to claim damages derived from a failure to comply with the representations and warranties of a share sale and purchase agreement.
- Representing a syndicate of English and US reinsurers in an action for recovery against an insurer in relation to a claim regarding an oilfield accident in US jurisdictional waters.
News and client work
- “La huelga ilegal como causa de fuerza mayor exoneradora de la responsabilidad civil del empresario por actos de sus empleados”. Práctica Contenciosa para Abogados, Editorial La Ley, 2015
- “Un arbitraje sobre la cláusula rebus sic stantibus” in Anuario de arbitraje, Editorial Thomson Reuters Aranzadi, 2016
- “La prejudicialidad civil internacional tras la entrada en vigor del Reglamento 1215/2012 –Bruselas I bis- y la Ley 29/2015” in Práctica Contenciosa para Abogados, Editorial La Ley, 2018
- “Riesgo de sesgo retrospectivo en la aplicación del mecanismo de ajuste al precio en las operaciones de compraventa de acciones de sociedades mercantiles” in Práctica Contenciosa para Abogados, Editorial La Ley, 2019
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas de Madrid (Degree in Law with Highest Honours) 2008
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (Degree in Business Management and Administration) 2009
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (LLM) 2009
- Admitted as lawyer (abogado) in Spain 2009
- Joined Clifford Chance 2009
- Member of the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA)
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association
- Part-time lecturer at Universidad Pontificia Comillas de Madrid
Awards and citations
- "Fernando Giménez-Alvear assists with a range of commercial disputes including director's liability, insurance and property disputes. Clients say: "He transmits a sense of security and has huge technical capacity.""
Chambers Global 2021: Dispute Resolution Spain
- "Sources say Fernando Giménez-Alvear "gets very into the detail and understands matters in a lot of depth." He assists with corporate and real estate litigation, as well as international commercial arbitration".
Chambers Europe 2020: Dispute Resolution Spain
- Selected as one of the 10 finalists for the Best Young Lawyer in Spain award by Diario Expansión- 2020