Carlos Zabala is the Head of the White-Collar Crime, Compliance and Investigations practice in Spain. He also leads the Cyber Security team for Continental Europe.
He has more than 15 years of experience advising companies in the financial, insurance, infrastructure and tech sectors in relation to criminal investigations, compliance and legal risks (money laundering, corruption and fraud).
Recently, he has been especially focused on cross-border investigations, compliance, due diligence processes and complex global litigation proceedings.
Carlos is a member of our Cyber Security Risk team.
- Advising a legal firm that suffered a cyber-attack in the context of the football leaks case. Our advice included a private prosecution and provisional measures in different jurisdictions to avoid the disclosure of information.
- Advising a global defence corporation in an investigation and criminal prosecution after an unlawful disclosure of national security information. The investigation identified the original of the security breach and was finally criminally convicted.
- Representing a global tech company in a phishing case for a supposed auction following a fraud scheme asking for provisional measures to avoid any liability for the client.
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, Madrid
- Email me
- Speaks Spanish and English
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Law Degree) 2002
- Admitted as an Abogado in Madrid (Madrid Bar Association) 2002
- University of Pennsylvania (Master of Laws, LL.M.) 2008
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Ph.D) 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2017
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.