Alexandra Borrallo specialises in Insolvency Law, and advises both national and international clients, acting as creditors or debtor companies in restructuring processes and insolvency proceedings.
Alexandra has extensive experience in providing legal advice in financial litigation, both in civil proceedings and before the Court of Arbitration of Madrid.
Alexandra also advises sellers and purchasers of NPL and RPL portfolios, providing technical and commercial advice when negotiating the SPA or APA.
- Advising debtors in a situation of insolvency, such as in the Orizionia case (tourism sector), Caramelo (textile sector), toll motorways Henarsa, Ciralsa and Puente del Ebro (currently in liquidation), Apra Leven (Belgium insurance company in liquidation) and Inmobiliaria Labaro (real estate).
- Advising financial entities as creditors in insolvency proceedings, such as Grupo Isolux Corsán, S.A., and Zed Worldwide.
- Advising investors on various operations involving the acquisition of debt or assets from insolvent companies.
- Advising on debt restructuring agreements in collaboration with our Banking, Finance and Real Estate teams, to debtor companies, such as Pepe Jeans Group on the refinancing of its EUR 376 million corporate financing.
- Advising the funds who hold the majority of the debt in the insolvency proceedings of Spanish toll roads in the potential litigation against the Spanish State to recover payment of the patrimonial responsibility of the Administration (responsabilidad patrimonial de la Administración).
- Advising a bank on the risk of subordination of credits of specially related parties in an insolvency situation.
- Advising a real estate developer in relation to the potential insolvency of its subsidiaries.
- Advising a company on its position as borrower in a financing agreement designed to finance the stakes of its subsidiary companies.
- Advising a Spanish bank on a compensation claim filed by a former CEO of another financial institution that was absorbed by our client
- Advising international clients in financial disputes regarding derivatives, structured bonds, multicurrency loans, and other financial products. Has advised both in judicial proceedings and arbitration proceedings before the Court of Arbitration of Madrid.
- Advising international financial entities on claims in relation to the manipulation of benchmark indexes applicable to loans and other financial products.
- Advising the sellers and purchasers in the sale of large portfolios regarding NPLs, PLs, and REOs. Advice throughout the whole proceeding
News and client work
- "El TJUE confirma qe las hipotecas multidivisa no son un instrumento financiero". Diario La Ley nº 8686, 2016
- Co-author of the book "Comentarios de Jurisprudencia Bancaria. Una Selección de Sentencias sobre Contratos de Financiación Corporativa, sus Garantías y el Concurso". Editorial Thomson Reuters, 2020.
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance as paralegal 2008
- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Double Degree in Law and Business Administration) 2009
- Admitted as lawyer (abogado) in Spain 2009
- Joined Clifford Chance as lawyer 2009
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Rising Star
Legal 500 2021: Restructuring and Insolvency