Tomáš Richter is head of the Prague office's Knowledge & Information department. He has extensive experience in corporate finance and restructuring law and is a renowned expert on Czech and European insolvency law on which he focuses in his academic work.
Tomáš is the co-author of the Czech Insolvency Act 182/2006 and has for many years advised the Czech government on insolvency reform. In 2016, he served on a group of private experts with whom the European Commission consulted on its proposal of a legislative framework for preventive corporate restructuring in the EU. Between 2012 and 2014, he served on a similar group of private experts with whom the European Commission consulted on its proposal of the recast of the European Insolvency Regulation 1346/2000, promulgated as Regulation 848/2015.
- Citibank on the sale of its retail banking and credit card businesses in the Czech Republic to Raiffeisenbank
- Česká spořitelna as the majority creditor in a club of two financing banks on all aspects of the insolvency of JOB AIR Technic, a Czech aircraft maintenance provider, and on the client's position as agent and lender under a syndicated facilities agreement
- Česká spořitelna, a.s. on the defence of procedural and substantive rights in the insolvency proceedings concerning Oděvní podnik (OP Prostějov), a major Czech clothing producer including litigation at appellate and constitutional review level
News and client work
- 'Insolvency Law', Second Edition, Wolters Kluwer, 2016
- 'Insolvency Law', ASPI Wolters Kluwer, 2008
- 'Voucher privatisation and its impacts on the governance and financing of Czech stock corporations', Nakladatelství Karolinum, 2005
- 'Ranking and Priority of Creditors', Oxford University Press, 2016
- 'Expedited Corporate Debt Restructuring in the EU', Oxford University Press, 2015
- 'European Insolvency Law, The Heidelberg-Luxembourg-Vienna Report', C.H. Beck Hart Nomos, 2014
- 'The Civil Code V, The Law of Obligations, The General Part', C. H. Beck, 2014
- 'Insolvency Practice in the Czech Republic between 2008 and 2013' , C. H. Beck, 2013
- 'Civil Code III, Rights in rem', C.H. Beck, 2013
- 'Treatment of Contracts in Insolvency', Oxford University Press, 2013
- 'Commencement of Insolvency Proceedings', Oxford University Press, 2012
- 'Towards an EU Directive on Protected Funds', Kluwer, Deventer, 2009
Career and qualifications
- Charles University, Prague (Masters' in Law, Mgr.) 1994
- Central European University, Budapest (LL.M., Master of Laws) 1996
- Admitted as an advocate in Czech Republic 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Professor of Cross-Border Corporate Insolvency Law, Radboud University Nijmegen, the Netherlands 2011
- Member of The Conference of European Restructuring and Insolvency Law
- Member of the International Insolvency Institute
- Member of the Turnaround Management Association
- Member of the Supervisory Board of INSOL Europe Academic Forum
- Arbitrator at the Arbitration Court attached to the Economic Chamber of the Czech Republic and Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic
Awards and citations
- Tomáš Richter is widely recognised as a leading individual in the restructuring and insolvency sphere, frequently representing creditors in major insolvencies, and is also noted for his distinguished academic work in this field. A client comments: "He has this unique gift of explaining a most complicated topic in a simple yet authoritative way and he's fantastic to work with because he listens, formulates arguments and delivers them in a fine and balanced way. I would love to have him on my side in any court battle." He advised TEMPERATIOR in relation to the insolvency and CZK400 million reorganisation of OLEO CHEMICAL.
Chambers Europe 2019
- Tomáš Richter is renowned for his deep expertise in corporate reorganisation, with particular prowess in the technical aspects of the law, having written a number of key texts on restructuring in the Czech Republic. A client reports: "He is highly respected among legal and economic professionals, which often helps, as well as being a hands-on practitioner who keeps detailed overviews of matters and quickly identifies potential risks."
Chambers Europe 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Restructuring & Insolvency
- Leading Lawyer in Restructuring & Insolvency
Chambers & Partners 2016 (Band 1)
- Renowned in the industry for his extensive academic career, Tomáš Richter impresses clients with his vast legal know-how. Sources say: "He is the top guy in Czech restructuring and insolvency."
Chambers Global 2016
- Interviewees state: "Tomáš Richter has a very strong academic background, which helps his work in insolvency, as it is a technical area."
Chambers Global 2015
- Leading expert Tomáš Richter "has an excellent knowledge of insolvency law," note sources. Observers say that "he has an extremely strong academic background, which he combines with brilliant practical expertise."
Chambers Global 2014
- BESTSPORT reorganisation - Turnaround of the Year 2014 (small company category)
European Turnaround Management Association Awards, 2014
- The Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards 2008 – recognition of standout contribution to the reform of Czech insolvency law
- Edwin Coe Prizes for Outstanding Legal Scholarship 2008 – awarded second prize for the book 'Insolvency Law'