Petr Šebesta is a highly experienced tax advisor and counsel who specialises in tax structuring, tax litigation and tax aspects of M&A, finance and real estate transaction documentation.
Petr has a considerable and recognised expertise especially in tax aspects of debt and equity financing, including IPOs and structured finance products, and complex real estate transactions (i.e. project finance, development, acquisition and leases). His previous experience includes more than eight years as tax manager at Deloitte.
- Citibank on the tax aspects of the sale of its retail banking and credit card businesses in the Czech Republic to Raiffeisenbank.
- ASSA ABLOY on the on tax structuring of the sale of their global car lock business to ALPHA Corporation
- JP Morgan Securities Plc and the underwriters (UniCredit, Citibank) in relation to the contemplated large-scale IPO of EP Infrastructure, a.s. ("EPIF"), a leading energy infrastructure utility operating primarily in the Slovak and Czech Republics and owned by sole shareholder Energetický a průmyslový holding, a.s. ("EPH").
- Union Investment Real Estate on the acquisition and refinancing of the Palladium Shopping and Office Centre in Prague's central business district.
- Neinver on a joint venture agreement with The Prague Outlet for the launch of the first premium outlet centre in the Czech Republic.
- Czech Coal Group on the negotiation of a 50-year coal supply contract with ČEZ.
- TK Development on tax aspects of the disposal of 'Fashion Arena Outlet Center', the largest outlet shopping centre in the Czech Republic.
- KKCG on the takeover of SAZKA, a.s., the Czech national lottery operator and betting agent.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Economics, Prague (Masters' Degree in Economics (Ing.))1997
- Charles University, Prague (Masters' Degree in Law (Mgr.)) 2000
- Registered tax adviser in the Czech Republic 2001
- Vienna University of Economics and Business (LLM in international tax law) 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Czech Chamber of Tax Advisers
Awards and citations
- Petr Šebesta of Clifford Chance LLP is a well-established practitioner, frequently sought out for advice on tax issues arising from financings and M&A transactions. A client comments: "He's good on taxes, especially on the Czech tax system." He assisted KKCG Investments with the tax structuring of the acquisition of a majority stake in AutoCont Group.
Chambers Europe 2019
- Petr Šebesta of Clifford Chance LLP regularly advises on the tax aspects of M&A, divestments and refinancings. Clients highlight him as a "key" individual at the firm, describing him as "knowledgeable, fast in communication and really good." In a work highlight he led the team advising on the tax structuring of the acquisition and refinancing of shopping centre OC Letňany by CBRE Global Investors Germany.
Chambers Europe 2018
- Petr Šebesta remains broadly active across a variety of tax matters, working closely with corporate and property clients on transactional tax.
Chambers Europe 2016
- Petr Šebesta has long-standing experience of advising a wide range of clients on numerous tax issues.
Chambers Europe 2015
- Senior lawyer and tax adviser Petr Šebesta…is noted for his work on the Luxembourg–Czech Republic income and capital tax treaty.
Chambers Europe 2014