William Wong specialises in contentious regulatory work and financial services litigation, advising on market misconduct issues, compliance with financial rules and regulations, white-collar crimes (AML/CTF, anti-bribery and corruption) and mis-selling disputes. With his in-house experience, he represents a broad range of institutional clients (banks, securities firms, hedge funds, asset managers and other financial institutions) and individual clients (senior executives of listed corporations and financial institutions) in investigations by regulatory authorities and law enforcement agencies. He also frequently advises on tech and crypto-related issues.
William also advises regularly in commercial and employment disputes involving High Court and Labour Tribunal proceedings, as well as anti-trust investigations by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
- Advising a former executive director of a HK-listed company in a Market Misconduct Tribunal hearing concerning disclosure of false or misleading information in a company circular.
- Advising a European private bank in a HKMA-mandated look-back review of more than 30,000 transactions for potential selling misconduct.
- Advising multiple financial institutions and their senior employees in regulatory investigations concerning potential non-compliance with financial regulations such as internal control failings, market misconduct, money laundering.
- Advising the liquidators in the first-ever liquidation of a cryptocurrency exchange in Hong Kong.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Hong Kong (L.L. B) 2004
- Trainee Solicitor and Associate, Simmons & Simmons 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Assistant Vice President, Merrill Lynch 2010
- Vice President, Credit Suisse 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance 2014
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- William Wong is ranked a "Next Generation Lawyer".
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017 - 2019): Disputes Resolution: Litigation
- William Wong is "knowledgeable" and has an "ability to deliver succinct and appropriate advice".
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018): Regulatory: Anti-corruption and compliance