Mark Hyde specialises in advising on complex cross border matters across the full stakeholder spectrum including therefore companies, lenders, shareholders, governments and insolvency office holders.
During a career spanning more than 30 years, Mark has been involved in many landmark restructurings and insolvencies including Banco Ambrosiano, the National Bank of Brunei, Barlow Clowes, Maxwell, Peregrine, NTL, London Metronet, Monier, Lyondellbasell, Dubai World, Nakheel, Dubai Group, Dubai International Capital, Travelodge and China Fisheries Group.
He is a member and former President of the Insolvency Lawyers Association in the UK and INSOL. Mark is admitted to practice in Hong Kong, the UK and Brunei and is licensed to appear before the Dubai World Tribunal.
- The Travelodge Group in relation to its operational and financial restructuring
- Dubai World and separately its subsidiary companies (including Nakheel, Dubai Dry Docks World and Limitless) in relation to their complex debt restructurings encompassing a total of circa USD$24.5 billion of debt
- Dubai International Capital in relation to its USD$2.5 billion financial restructuring
- The senior lenders to Monier in relation to its ground breaking and complex financial restructuring involving the first ever enforcement of a Luxembourg share pledge
Clifford Chance advises Nakheel on landmark restructuring
29 August 2011
New liquidation processes under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Liquidation Process) Regulations 2016
4 January 2017
India: A new Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016
2 December 2016
Cross-border insolvency in Hong Kong – pushing the boundaries
23 November 2016
(Reform) too big to fail? Hong Kong puts in place resolution regime to meet international standards
7 July 2016
The corporate insolvency process in Hong Kong – key changes in 2016
22 June 2016
Career and qualifications
- Birmingham University (LLB (Hons)) 1980
- Articled Phillip Conway Thomas
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1984
- Joined Clifford Chance 1984
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 1987
- Partner 1993-2016
- Consultant since 2016
- R3 and INSOL
- Insolvency Lawyers Association (Past President)
Awards and citations
- Mark Hyde is global head of the Firm's insolvency and restructuring group and has a "first-class reputation". He recently advised Dubai-based real estate company Nakheel on its restructuring of liabilities totalling over USD16 billion.
Chambers UK 2013, Restructuring/Insolvency, Tier 1
- Headed by the "excellent" Mark Hyde, Clifford Chance’s nine-partner team excels at big-ticket restructurings and insolvencies, where it is able to deploy a "highly co-ordinated approach" in utilising multiple offices and strengths in related practice areas.
Legal 500 2013, Corporate restructuring and insolvency, Tier 1
- Mark Hyde is noted for his expertise "in plain-speaking and is technically expert".
- Mark Hyde is noted for his expertise in corporate restructuring and insolvency and is "highly experienced and commercially astute".
Legal 500 2012