Jim Back is a counsel who advises major corporations on EU and multi-jurisdictional competition law issues. He specialises in merger notifications, abuse of market power, distribution and supply practices, and compliance questions across a range of sectors.
Jim's focus on energy and pharmaceutical issues is complemented by a wide range of experience in IP- driven and networked industries, particularly in telecommunications and standardisation.
- Advised Citigroup on:
- the acquisition of EMI
- the subsequent US$1.9 billion sale of EMI Recorded Music to Universal (Phase II investigation)
- US$2.2 billion sale of EMI Music Publishing to a consortium led by Sony
- Advised Pfizer on:
- its US$68 billion acquisition of Wyeth
- its US$3.6 billion acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals
- the US$11.85 billion sale of its nutrition business to Nestle
AS&H in cooperation with Clifford Chance advised Saudi Basic Industries Corporation on the acquisition of an additional 25% stake in, and extension of the term of, its joint venture in Saudi Methanol Company (Ar-Razi) with the Japan Saudi Arabia Methanol Company Inc.
23 October 2019
Clifford Chance advising SABIC on proposed acquisition of strategic stake in Clariant from 40 North and Corvex
29 January 2018
Clifford Chance advises General Electric on the sale of GE Industrial Solutions to ABB
28 September 2017
Clifford Chance advises General Electric on its proposed acquisition of Alstom
8 September 2015
Clifford Chance advises Pfizer on the Divestment of its Nutrition Business To Nestlé
24 April 2012
The General Court's first ruling on reverse patent settlements
12 September 2016
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2001
- Counsel since 2010
- Admitted as an avocat in Brussels 2018
- Member of the Brussels Bar
Awards and citations
- "Responsive and client-focused."
Chambers Global 2018, Competition/European Law