Jim Back is a counsel who advises major corporations on EU and multi-jurisdictional competition law issues. He specialises in merger notifications, abuse of market power, distribution and supply practices, and compliance questions across a range of sectors.
Jim's focus on energy and pharmaceutical issues is complemented by a wide range of experience in IP- driven and networked industries, particularly in telecommunications and standardisation.
- Advised Citigroup on:
- the acquisition of EMI
- the subsequent US$1.9 billion sale of EMI Recorded Music to Universal (Phase II investigation)
- US$2.2 billion sale of EMI Music Publishing to a consortium led by Sony
- Advised Pfizer on:
- its US$68 billion acquisition of Wyeth
- its US$3.6 billion acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals
- the US$11.85 billion sale of its nutrition business to Nestle
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2001
- Counsel since 2010
- Admitted as an avocat in Brussels 2018
- Member of the Brussels Bar
Awards and citations
- "Responsive and client-focused."
Chambers Global 2018, Competition/European Law