Bart Denys is a member of Clifford Chance's Global Funds & Investment Management Group.
He has extensive experience in fund structuring projects, mergers & acquisitions, marketing and distribution, fund financing, building and maintaining long-term relationships with financial regulators, negotiation with service providers and investors, and the set-up and governance of investment fund managers.
Bart advises on both public funds (UCITS) and private funds (AIFs) in the private equity and infrastructure space.
Advising Credit Suisse on:
- the restructuring of its Luxembourg investment funds platform with a total of over 150 sub-funds through a series of fund mergers and similar corporate transactions;
- the set-up of CS Investment Funds 6, an umbrella fund dedicated to investments in the Asia-Pacific Region including several sub-funds investing in the People’s Republic of China via the QFII and RQFII Quota, the Hong Kong-Shanghai and Hong Kong-Shenzen Stock Connect Schemes, the CIBM Direct Access Platform etc.;
- the spin-off of its Industrial Life Cycle (ILC) product range from its Luxembourg funds platform and its transfer to River & Mercantile Group;
- the spin-off of the existing index funds from the Luxembourg based Credit Suisse Index Fund and their transfer to a newly established Irish ETF platform
- Advising Citigroup Global Markets Limited on the set-up of a sophisticated UCITS platform pursuing a diverse range of investment strategies, including synthetic index tracking, volatility arbitrage and QFII/RQFII investments;
- Advising BOCOM Schroder Asset Management on the set-up of BOCOM Schroder Global Opportunities Fund and its first sub-fund, BOCOM Schroder All China Equity Fund;
- Advising various UCITS promoters on ensuring compliance with regulatory developments such as UCITS IV, UCITS V, SFTR, the EU Benchmark Regulation, MIFID 2 and GDPR.
- Secondments to the asset management division of a leading Swiss banking and financial services group in Luxembourg and the investment banking branch of a U.S. financial institution in London.
- Advising Deutsche Alternative Asset Management on the structuring, marketing and successive investor closings of Pan-Europe Infrastructure Fund II (PEIF II) and Pan-Europe Infrastructure Fund III (PEIF III);
- Advising Blue like an Orange Capital L.P. on the set-up of Blue like an Orange Sustainable Capital Fund SICAV-SIF SCS, a fund seeking to achieve market rates of financial return while simultaneously addressing significant social challenges around the world with particular focus on the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals;
- Advising Oaktree Capital Management L.P. on the set-up of its Luxembourg closed-ended funds platform, consisting of unregulated limited partnerships investing in parallel with Oaktree’s US funds platform
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- KU Leuven, Belgium (Master of Laws) 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Member of the Brussels Bar 2011
- Secondment, Credit Suisse Fund Services (Luxembourg) S.A. 2012
- Member of the Luxembourg bar 2014
- Secondment, Citigroup Global Markets Limited (UK) 2014
- KU Leuven, Belgium (MSc in Applied Economics, Finance & Accounting) 2016
- Counsel since May 2019
- European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA), Representative
- Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA), Representative