Bart Denys has extensive experience in fund structuring, mergers & acquisitions, marketing and distribution, equity raising and investor negotiations, fund financing and the set-up and governance of regulated investment fund managers.
He advises on both public funds (UCITS) and private funds (AIFs) in the private equity and infrastructure space.
Bart is an attorney at law with dual qualification in Belgium (Brussels bar) and in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. He holds a Master of Laws (Magna cum Laude) and a Master of Science in Applied Economics (Cum Laude), both from the University of Leuven (Belgium), and is certified for completing an Executive Programme in Asset Management taught at the Vlerick Business School (Belgium).
Public funds (UCITS) highlights include:
- Credit Suisse on, among others,
- a comprehensive compliance exercise with the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFDR) across its entire Luxembourg funds platform and related entities
- the spin-off of a family of index products from its Luxembourg funds platform to its newly launched Irish ETF platform CS (IE) ETF;
- the spin-off of its Industrial Life Cycle (ILC) product range from its Luxembourg funds platform and consequent transfer to River & Mercantile Group;
- the set-up of CS Investment Funds 6, an umbrella fund dedicated to investments with a particular focus on the People’s Republic of China; and
- Numerous funds launches as well as a series of mergers and similar transactions to optimize economies of scale and scope across its Luxembourg funds platform;
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited on the set-up of a sophisticated UCITS platform pursuing a diverse range of investment strategies, including synthetic index tracking, volatility arbitrage and QFII/RQFII investments;
- Various UCITS promoters on ensuring compliance with regulatory developments such as UCITS IV, UCITS V, SFTR, BMR, MIFID 2, GDPR, Brexit and SFDR.
- Secondments to the asset management division of a leading Swiss banking and financial services group in Luxembourg and the investment banking branch of a U.S. financial institution in London.
Private funds (AIF/AIFM) highlights include:
- Deutsche Alternative Asset Management on the structuring, marketing and successive investor closings of
- Pan-Europe Infrastructure Fund II (PEIF II)
- Pan-Europe Infrastructure Fund III (PEIF III);
- Private Equity Solutions (PES)
- Blue like an Orange Capital L.P. on the set-up of Blue like an Orange Sustainable Capital Fund SICAV-SIF SCS, a fund seeking to achieve market rates of financial return while simultaneously addressing significant social challenges around the world with particular focus on the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals;
- Rothschild & Co on
- the set-up of Five Arrows Debt Partners (FADP) III, its new flagship direct lending fund
- ongoing corporate and regulatory advice to Rothschild & Co Investment Managers S.A., its Luxembourg alternative investment fund manager and its “Five Arrows” closed-ended funds platform
- Mubadala Investment Company on the set-up of MIC Capital Partners (Ventures) Europe Parallel (Luxembourg) SCSp, Mubadala’s first AIFMD compliance fund in Luxembourg.
- Oaktree Capital Management L.P. on the establishment of its Luxembourg closed-ended funds platform, consisting of unregulated limited partnerships investing in parallel with Oaktree’s US funds platform, including:
- Oaktree European Principal Fund IV SCS
- Oaktree Real Estate Debt Fund II SCS
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- KU Leuven, Belgium (Master of Laws) 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Member of the Brussels Bar 2011
- Secondment, Credit Suisse Fund Services (Luxembourg) S.A. 2012
- Member of the Luxembourg bar 2014
- Secondment, Citigroup Global Markets Limited (UK) 2014
- KU Leuven, Belgium (MSc in Applied Economics, Finance & Accounting) 2016
- Senior Associate, Clifford Chance, since 2016
- Counsel since May 2019
- Vlerick Business School, Belgium (Executive Programme in Asset Management) 2020
- Vlerick Business School, Belgium (Management Programme in Venture Capital and Private Equity) 2021
- European Fund and Asset Management Association (EFAMA), Representative
- Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA), Representative