Sean Marriott entered the legal profession following a previous career as an Engineer, and specialises in construction, engineering and major project disputes, and is highly experienced in international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration.
Sean's practice focuses on the energy and resources, construction and infrastructure sectors, and Sean acts in cases concerning offshore and onshore construction, oil and gas, mining, power, and maritime matters.
Sean is admitted to practice law in England and Wales and Western Australia, and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Sean has acted for:
- Global oil & gas contractor in two related international arbitrations arising out of:
- a design and construction contract for an LNG loading jetty in Western Australia (UNCITRAL Rules, Perth seat; Western Australian governing law)
- a consortium agreement for the construction of the same LNG loading jetty (ICC Rules, Singapore seat; Western Australian governing law)
- Power Supplier in an arbitration against an iron ore mine operator concerning supply interruptions, operations and maintenance obligations, compliance with industry technical standards, construction delays, and misrepresentation in relation to network design requirements and responsibility.
- Australian mining company in an ICSID arbitration against the Arab Republic of Egypt under the Australia-Egypt BIT
- Oil and gas operator in an UNCITRAL arbitration against construction contractor concerning variations and delays to the completion of the operator's head office and offshore control centre.
- Lead contractor against subcontractor in an international arbitration concerning losses arising from delays in the construction of a first commercial production oil and gas facility in the Middle East, including issues of work sequencing and schedule management.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Sheffield (B.Eng.) 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2010
- Associate 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2016
- Senior Associate Clifford Chance 2017
- Counsel Clifford Chance 2019
- Admitted as a solicitor in Western Australia 2019
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2019
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Society of Construction Law Australia