Peter Harris specialises in international arbitration matters and has been advising clients in relation to project disputes, international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. Predominantly, Peter has worked for clients in the energy, resources, construction and infrastructure sectors.
Peter’s experience includes advising:
- Kingsgate Consolidated Limited in an ongoing dispute against the Kingdom of Thailand in relation to the Chatree gold mine. Kingsgate's claims are being pursued in international arbitration proceedings brought under the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement. The proceedings are governed by the UNCITRAL Rules and the arbitration is administered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague (PCA Case No. 2017-36 1).
- A global oil & gas contractor in a USD 1.8 billion dispute arising out of a contract for the construction of an LNG loading jetty (UNCITRAL Rules, Perth seat).
- Cortec (Pty) Ltd, Stirling Capital Ltd and Cortec Mining Kenya Ltd in an ongoing ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Kenya, the dispute arising out of the revocation of a mining licence and other measures taken by the host State in alleged violation of the United Kingdom-Kenya BIT (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/29).
- a US-based solar company on a high-value ICC arbitration against a Taiwanese company involving worldwide breach of contract and misappropriation of confidential information claims as well as a range of anti-trust and intellectual property matters (ICC Case No. 20391/RD).
- Churchill Mining plc and Planet Mining Pty Ltd in a consolidated ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Indonesia, the dispute relating to the East Kutai Coal Project in Kalimantan (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/14 and ARB/12/40).
- a Singapore company in an ongoing dispute with a South East Asian State concerning measures taken against an investment in a palm oil processing plant (this dispute is currently cooling off under the applicable investment treaty, and will be referred to ICSID arbitration if it cannot be resolved amicably).
- a UK-listed fit-out contractor in SIAC arbitration proceedings against a US-based developer in relation to a dispute arising out of the development of a landmark casino and integrated resort development. The dispute was resolved through a mediation using a co-mediator process.
- a major international oil company on investment treaty protection and corporate structuring in relation to projected projects in Myanmar, China and the Philippines bilateral investment treaties respectively.
- a global insulation contractor in relation to a disputed final account claim and contemplated adjudication proceedings involving contested variations and completion issues.
- an Australian energy company as the employer on a major biodisel project in Malaysian in relation SIAC arbitration proceedings involving a number of issues and claims surrounding payment security, liquidated damages and extensions of time.
- a PRC-based manufacturer of sapphire crystals used in the semi-conductor industry in LCIA arbitration proceedings against a US-supplier.
Chambers Global Guide - International Arbitration Australia 2019
20 November 2018
The EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement: a different kind of treaty?
30 July 2018
Castle v Bombay Palace
18 July 2018
Client Briefing: Subpoenas In Aid Of Arbitration: Udp Holdings Pty Ltd V Esposito Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors  Vsc 316
28 June 2018
The challenge of experience: Allianz Insurance Plc and Sirius International Insurance Corporation v Tonicstar Limited  EWCA Civ 434
20 April 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (MA) 2002
- SOAS University of London (MSc) 2006
- College of Law (LLB) 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2012
Awards and citations
- “an impressive arbitration lawyer for construction and mining disputes”
Who’s Who Legal – Future Leader - Arbitration (2018)