Nathan is a senior associate in our International Arbitration practice and a member of our global investment treaty arbitration and mining team. Nathan specialises in claims against foreign governments under investment treaties and free trade agreements. Nathan's arbitration experience includes arbitrations under the ICSID, HKIAC, ICC, LCIA, SCC, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules and he has appeared in matters before the International Court of Justice.
Nathan is recognised as an emerging leader in arbitration and won "Young ADR Practitioner of the Year" at the Australian ADR Awards; he was the winner of the International Bar Associations' Dispute Resolution Scholarship and placed Top 10 (8th) Globally in the Financial Times' Top 50 Future LGBT+ Leaders. He is also a Guest Lecturer at the University of Sydney, where he teaches International Arbitration and the Law of the Sea.
Nathan leads the Australian chapter of our LGBT+ network "Arcus".
- Energy & Telecommunications: Representing instrumentalities of a South-East Asian State in a Singapore-seated, USD 1 billion dispute concerning the award of a national energy concession. Dispute involves issues of public importance that directly affect the interests of the citizens of the State relating to the future management of the national power transmission system, the national telecommunications plan and the restriction of foreign control of national assets.
- Mining: Representing Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd & Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd in an ongoing ad hoc arbitration against the Kingdom of Thailand under the Australia-Thailand Free Trade Agreement (PCA Case No. 2017-36/AA684).
- Private Equity: Representing a multinational investment bank in a multimillion dollar HKIAC arbitration proceedings in connection with a significant misrepresentation by which it was induced to invest in the Asian technology sector.
- Public International Law: Representing a joint venture of international oil companies in international conciliation proceedings (and related trilateral negotiations) under UNCLOS with two Governments concerning the development of a gas field in an area the subject of a maritime boundary dispute.
News and client work
- Chambers Global Practice Guide, International Arbitration
- "Privileged and confidential: cross border differences in the protection of confidential information"
2018 International Bar Association Annual Conference (Rome) – Arbitration Panel
- Unchartered waters – sovereign risk in deep seabed mining
International Law Office
8 October 2018
- "Mitigating Sovereign Risk in Deep Seabed Mining"
2018 Asia-Pacifc Deep Seabed Mining Conference (Singapore)
Career and qualifications
- University of Technology Sydney (LLB) 2012
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales 2012
- Legal Counsel Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department 2012
- Ritsumeikan University (LLM) 2013
- University of Sydney (LLM) 2014
- Associate at Volterra Fietta, London 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2017
- Senior Associate since 2017
- Officer – International Bar Association
- Member – NSW Law Society
- Member – Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law
Awards and citations
- Young ADR Practitioner of the Year 2018 Australian ADR Awards
- Winner of the 2018 International Bar Associations' Dispute Resolution Scholarship
- Top 10 (8th) Globally in the 2018 Financial Times' Top 50 Future LGBT+ Leaders, the highest of any legal professional in the world.
- Future Leader, Financial Times' LGBT+ OUTstanding List 2018