Amanda Murphy specialises in advising companies on a wide range of public international law issues, including international human rights, humanitarian law, investment law, international environmental law, international boundaries and the law of the sea, diplomatic immunities and sanctions.
She advises multinational companies on disputes with foreign governments through international investment treaties and represents companies in international arbitration proceedings in a variety of forums, including under the ICSID, LCIA and UNCITRAL rules. Amanda's work is focused in the energy and resources sector, having spent several years as a corporate lawyer in Perth before moving to London.
Amanda is a member of our global Business and Human Rights Risk and Climate Change Risk teams.
- Advising an oil and gas joint venture on the international law implications for implementation of the Maritime Boundaries Treaty between Australian and Timor-Leste
- Acting for Kingsgate Consolidated Limited in an ongoing UNCITRAL Rules arbitration under the Australia-Thailand Free Trade Agreement, concerning implications of the human right to water and the right to health in the expropriation of the Chatree Gold Mine in northern Thailand
- Advising a multinational energy company in relation to its human rights policy framework in respect of its global operations
- Advising a multinational energy company in relation to human rights grievance mechanisms and private security agreements in respect of its operations in Africa
News and client work
- Chambers Global Practice Guide, International Arbitration, Australia (2019)
- R. Volterra and G. Mandelli with A. Murphy, 'India and Brazil: Recent steps toward host state control in the investment treaty dispute resolution paradigm', Indian Journal of Arbitration Law, Volume 6, Issue 1 (2017)
Career and qualifications
- University of Western Australia (LLB) 2004
- Admitted as a Lawyer in Western Australia 2007
- Associate, Corporate Advisory at Gilbert + Tobin, Perth 2009
- University of Cambridge, England (LLM) 2015
- Associate and consultant at Volterra Fietta, London 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2018
- WA Committee Member, International Humanitarian Law Committee, Australian Red Cross
- Member of Australian Lawyers for Human Rights, Business & Human Rights sub-committee member
- Member of the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law (2016 – present)
- Member of the International Law Association (Australian branch)