Alhassane Barry is Counsel in the Energy, Project and Infrastructure Group and a member of the Firm's Africa Group.
Alhassane specialises in international project development and finance. He has vast experience in advising sponsors, developers, export credit agencies, lenders, borrowers and private equity houses in projects in power, infrastructure, telecommunications, metals/mining, oil & gas and natural resources sectors with a strong emphasis on emerging markets, and particularly Asia and Africa.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Paris II - Panthéon Assas (DEA Private International Law/International Trade Law) 2003
- University of Paris II - Panthéon Assas (DESS Banking and Finance Law) 2004
- Gide Loyrette Nouel 2004 - 2005
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris 2005
- Clifford Chance Paris and Washington, D.C. 2006
- University of Pennsylvania Law School 2009
- The Wharton School of Business 2009
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2014
- Counsel since 2015
Awards and citations
- Alhassane Barry is described by clients as "very thorough; his strong point is the ability to explain every detail of these matters that he knows inside and out." He has a wealth of experience in the infrastructure, oil and gas, energy and mining industries, with particular focus on African jurisdictions.
Chambers Global 2016
- "Abu Dhabi-based Alhassane Barry is qualified in France and regularly co-ordinates with the Paris team on varied project types, including those in the power and infrastructure sectors. His client list includes development banks and private investors."
Chambers Global, France, Projects: International Projects, 2018
- Alhassane Barry specialises in the sectors of mining, oil and gas, natural resources, telecommunications and infrastructure. He advises a wide range of clients including sponsors, developers and credit agencies as well as borrowers. He is active in both France and Africa.
Chambers Global, France, Projects: international Projects, 2017
- Recently promoted to counsel, Alhassane Barry is described by clients as "very thorough; his strong point is the ability to explain every detail of these matters that he knows inside and out." He has a wealth of experience in the infrastructure, oil and gas, energy and mining industries, with particular focus on African jurisdictions.
Chambers Global, France, Projects: International Projects, 2016
- "Senior associate Alhassane Barry co-heads the firm's OHADA francophone Africa subgroup. He advises clients on a range of transactional and projects work linked to infrastructure, telecommunications, energy and natural resources".
Chambers Global, 2015, Corporate/M&A, France
- "Alhassane Barry co-heads the Firm' [Clifford Chance]’s OHADA francophone Africa subgroup. As well as corporate and M&A work, his broad practice covers energy and natural resources, infrastructure mandates and project finance."
Chambers Global, 2014, Corporate/M&A, France
- "Alhassane Barry is a key member of the Firm [Clifford Chance]’s Africa Group. He has in-depth knowledge of the OHADA jurisdictions and Francophone Africa. His practice focuses on project finance and corporate/commercial work."
Chambers Global, 2013, Corporate/M&A, France