As General Manager, Robert Smit focuses on the operational, business and finance matters of the Clifford Chance Amsterdam office. Robert has been in this role since 2010, with a dual role as the office’s head of finance between 2010 and 2013. From 2014 until 2019, Robert acted as RCOO/CFO for the Continental European region.
Robert is a highly experienced COO/CFO with over 30 years of experience in the professional services industry. He started his career at KPMG in 1988 and fulfilled various functions and qualified as a Chartered Accountant (Royal NIVRA). Robert was lead partner at KPMG from 2001 to 2010, where he was responsible for maintaining the relationship with both listed and large private companies. He also led HR, risk management and resource management departments. In addition, he held a number of management roles at KPMG.
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam
- +31 20 711 9313
- Email me
Career and qualifications
- KPMG Nederland, 1988 - 2010
- Royal NIVRA – RA/Registeraccountant, 1996
- IMDB Business School, 2009
- Joined Clifford Chance in 2010 as General Manager and Head of Finance
- University of Oxford - Said Business School, 2013
- Nyenrode Business University – New Board Program, 2015
- Harvard University – Leadership for law firms, 2018