We opened our first Asia Pacific office in 1980 and have gone on to build a significant market leading regional presence. Our 400-plus lawyers advise clients on the full range of business law for their regional and international activities.
We have worked with clients in the Asia Pacific region for over 30 years
Our Asia Pacific network began with our Hong Kong and Singapore offices which opened in 1980 and 1981 respectively. Since then we've invested in them to keep pace with our clients' businesses and worked on opportunities both within and beyond the region.
We now have nine offices in six Asia Pacific countries. They include two offices in China – Beijing, which opened in 1985 and Shanghai, which opened in 1993 – and our newest office, Seoul, which opened in 2012. We also have an association with Linda Widyati and Partners in Indonesia and with litigation boutique, Cavenagh Law in Singapore. In other countries where we don’t have offices we have close working relationships with local law firms. This gives us a cost-effective way to deliver results for clients in every country in the region - our lawyers know these firms well and carefully pick the firms that best meet the needs of individual clients and projects.
Multi-jurisdictional teams that deliver award-winning work
We've advised clients on a string of landmark Asia Pacific deals. These deals, and our day-to-day work with clients across the region, have given us extensive experience of managing projects that span multiple regional and international jurisdictions.
We use this experience – and the substantial resources in our international network – to build effective teams. We make sure that each team has the right balance of hands-on experience of local and regional markets.
These teams of talented lawyers have won us a string of awards that include IFLR Asia Awards, 2013 and International Law Firm of the Year.
A dedicated ASEAN focus
With a combined population of approximately 620 million people and a growth rate averaging 6% a year, the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) offers huge opportunities for investors. The ten country bloc – Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Brunei, Laos the Philippines and Cambodia – is one of the fastest growing regions in the world and aims to launch a single market, the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) in 2015.
With the AEC beginning to emerge, we are one of the few firms with a dedicated taskforce of partners and associates focusing on industry trends, opportunities and challenges for clients in the ASEAN region. This taskforce operates across and co-ordinates lawyers in our offices in Bangkok and Singapore, our association with Linda Widyati & Partners in Jakarta and our "Country Focus Groups" for Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines and Vietnam, where country teams of lawyers based in all our practice areas and offices worldwide pool their knowhow and expertise for issues involving these ASEAN jurisdictions.
Awards and milestones
- 2014: The Firm won Chambers Asia Pacific 2014's "Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year" and "China Finance Law Firm of the Year"
- 2014: We were named top law firm for Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year Transactions by Private Equity International
- 2014: Energy and resources partner Paul Lingard joins Perth office
- 2013: We launched the Clifford Chance Africa Academy, aimed at providing a structured training programme to African counsel. The first course, "Introduction to Banking and Capital Markets" for junior associates was held in Lagos, Nigeria
- 2013: The Firm marked the 20th anniversary of its Shanghai office on 25 October. We are one of the first international law firms to receive a license in Shanghai in 1993, following the opening of its Beijing office in 1985
- 2013: We entered into an association with Indonesian firm, Linda Widyati & Partners (LWP)
- 2013: We were awarded Global Law Firm of the Year and Asia Law Firm of the Year at the Global Derivatives Awards 2013, hosted by Derivatives Week
- 2013: Partner Mark Shipman, Global Head of Funds and Investment Management, was appointed to the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission (SFC)'s Advisory Committee
- 2013: Alastair C. MacAulay joined the Hong Kong office as a partner to lead on maritime and offshore finance matters
- 2013: We were named the top law firm for private equity transactions, private equity real estate transactions and private equity real estate fund formation in Asia Pacific by readers of Private Equity International (PEI) and Private Equity Real Estate (PERE)
- 2013: The Firm won "International Law Firm of the Year" in International Financial Law Review (IFLR)'s annual Asia Awards and was also involved on two winning deals: the Debt and equity-linked deal of the year for Axiata sukuk multi-currency programme, and the Project finance deal of the year for Tanjung Bin coal-fired IPP. We were also shortlisted in all eight team of the year categories
- 2013: We were awarded the prestigious "China International Law Firm of the Year", "Singapore International Law Firm of the Year and "China Corporate Law Firm of the Year" by Chambers Asia Pacific. Clifford Chance China also earned 15 Tier 1 rankings in China and Clifford Chance Singapore earned nine Tier 1 rankings, both higher than any other international law firm, in the 2013 edition of the Chambers Asia Pacific Guide
- 2013: Mark Shipman, Head of the Global Funds and Investment Management sector, has been appointed to the Hong Kong Government's Financial Services Development Council (FSDC)
- 2013: Leading Australian antitrust specialist Dave Poddar joined the Firm as a Partner in the Sydney office
- 2013: Awarded "Corporate Syndicated Loans Law Firm of the Year" in the APLMA Syndicated Loan Awards 2013
- 2013: Received the "Asia Law Firm of the Year" in the Derivatives Week 2013 Global Derivatives Awards
- 2013: Won the "International Law Firm of the Year" in the Asian Legal Business China Law Awards 2013
- 2013: Awarded the "International Law Firm of the Year" in the IFLR Asian Awards 2013
- 2013: Received the "Syndicated Acquisition Finance Law Firm of the Year" in the APLMA Asia Pacific Syndicated Loan Awards
- 2013: Won the "Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year" in the APLMA Asia Pacific Syndicated Loan Awards
- 2013: Won the "Finance team of the Year" in the Legal Business Awards 2013
- 2014: Advised on China Shipping (Group)'s US$500 million credit enhanced bonds
- 2014: Advised on Greentown's US$500 million perpetual capital securities
- 2014: Advised on a sale of stake in Indonesia's Bank Saudara to Woori Bank
- 2014: Advised Spring Airlines on the establishment of a Japan budget airline
- 2014: Advised OCP Asia on an arrangement of US$65 million in notes and warrants as financing for Guildford Coal Limited
- 2014: Advised the Development Bank of Japan on its investment in UK Offshore Wind Farms
- 2013: Advised Otsuka on US$200 million loan financing to MicroPort Scientific
- 2013: Advised NWS Holdings Limited, the infrastructure and service flagship of New World Development Company Limited., on acquiring shares in Beijing Capital International Airport Co., Ltd. For approximately HKD2.36 billion
- 2013: Advised Carlyle on a US$25 million cornerstone investment in Fu Shou Yuan
- 2013: Advised EQT Partners Asia Ltd. ("EQT") on its leveraged majority buyout of China F&B Group
- 2013: Advised PSA International (PSA) on its acquisition of a 49% stake in a new container terminal in Lianyungang Port in Jiangsu province, China
- 2013: Advised Banco Santander on its €470 million investment in Bank of Shanghai
- 2013: Advised Rockwood on a US$1 billion lithium joint venture with Chengdu Tianqi to acquire Australia's Talison Lithium
- 2013: Advised China Life's acquisition of Shanghai Xintiandi property development for RMB3.32 billion
- 2013: Advised Shanghai Auto on a joint venture to produce MG cars in Thailand with Charoen Pokphand
- 2013: Advised Hengshi Mining on its US$143m IPO
- 2013: Advised on China Development Bank's upsized RMB4.5 billion notes issuance
- 2013: Advised Intermediate Capital Group on a partnership with Nomura Holdings to set up a Japanese Domestic Mezzanine Fund
- 2013: Advised Morgan Stanley as the sole underwriter and bookrunner of the global offering of PW Medtech's HK$1.2 billion listing on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
- 2013: Advised on Huishang Bank Corp.'s US$1.19 billion Hong Kong IPO
- 2013: Advised the Vingroup Joint Stock Company on the United States and New York law aspects of its US$200 million 144a Reg S 11.625% notes due 2018. This was the largest, and only the second US dollar high yield bond issued by a Vietnamese corporate
- 2013: Advised HSBC Insurance (Singapore) on an offer to agents of HSBC Insurance (Singapore) to join AIA Singapore
- 2013: Advised Ajinomoto on the acquisition of Kükre A.Ş., a premium brand food company in Turkey
- 2013: Advised an investor consortium on an investment in convertible notes and options in Sundance Resources Limited
- 2013: Advised Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. and Mitsubishi Corporation on their acquisition of a majority stake in a Vietnamese polyvinyl chloride (PVC) company, Phu My Plastics & Chemicals Co
- 2013: Advised ASX and TSX-listed Alacer Gold Corp. on the sale of its Australian gold mining operations to Australian company Metals X Limited
- 2013: Advised on the recently established joint venture between Australia's Toga Group and Singapore's Far East Orchard Limited on its provision of management and consultancy services to Rendezvous Hotels
- 2013: Advised on Malaysia's largest IPO this year, raising US$740 million in public listing for UMW Oil & Gas
- 2013: Advised Haitong Securities on its first international US dollar bond offering
- 2013: Advised Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (MEXIM), on the international law aspects regarding the establishment of its US$1 billion multicurrency sukuk programme
- 2013: Advised Sumitomo on US$1 billion purchase with Glencore of Rio Tinto coal mine stake in Queensland
- 2013: Advised China-ASEAN Investment Cooperation Fund (CAF) on its equity investment in National Power Supply Public Company Limited
- 2013: Advised Carlyle on HK$365 million cornerstone investment in Tenwow International Holdings.
- 2013: Advised China Huishan Dairy Holdings Co. Ltd, on its US$1.3 billion listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- 2013: Advised Haitong International Holdings on its proposed acquisition of the China leasing business held by UT Capital Group Co., Ltd for US$715 million from private equity firm, TPG Capital
- 2013: Advised PSA International on the agreement with International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI) to develop, construct and operate the container port terminal and facilities located in the Peninsula of Aguadulce, Buenaventura, Valle del Cauca, Colombia (the Aguadulce Port Project)
- 2013: Advised RBS Morgans and Petra Capital as joint lead managers on the A$61.7 million underwritten pro rata rights offer by Ingenia Communities Group
- 2013: Advised AMP Capital on its proposed establishment of a joint venture funds management company with China Life Asset Management Company
- 2013: Advised Mizuho Bank Limitedon a US$200 million syndicated loan agreement for Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited, a Thai oil company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand
- 2013: Advised Informa plc, a leading academic publishing, business information and events group, on the sale of its five corporate training businesses to an affiliate of Providence Equity Partners for up to US$180 million
- 2013: Advised Australia's tomwaterhouse.com on acquisition by UK's William Hill
- 2013: Advised City Farmers on the A$93 million investment by Quadrant Private Equity for a majority stake in the company's pet retail chain in Australia
- 2013: Advised HSBC on the sale of group term life and employee benefits businesses in Singapore to AXA Life
- 2013: Advised TSX-V-listed Asian Mineral Resources Limited on its mining services contracts, equipment leasing arrangements and US$20 million project financing through LienViet Post Bank for the Ban Phuc Nickel Project in Vietnam
- 2013: Advised Australia's Toga Group on the A$183 million acquisition of five Australian hotels
- 2013: Advised Chalieco on its US$184 million IPO
- 2013: Advised lenders on a US$17.34 billion refinancing of Glencore Xstrata
- 2013: Advised India's Ramky Enviro Engineers Ltd on the acquisition of Australia's Enviropacific Services Pty Ltd, the company's first major acquisition in Australia
- 2013: Advised KrisEnergy on its US$215 million IPO
- 2013: Advised on MMG's Dugald River US$1 billion project financing.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014:
- Tier One in Aviation: Finance in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Banking & Finance: in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Capital Markets: Debt in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Capital Markets: Equity in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A: in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A: Private Equity in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Investment Funds: Hedge Funds in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Investment Funds: Private Equity in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Investment Funds: Real Estate in Asia Pacific
- Tier One in Projects & Infrastructure: in Asia Pacific
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014
- Tier One in Banking and finance in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Capital markets (debt) in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Corporate (including M&A) in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Dispute resolution in Hong Kong
- Tier One in International arbitration in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Investment funds in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Private equity in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Projects and energy in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Real estate in Hong Kong
IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific 2014
- Tier One in Bank lending in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Capital markets in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Competition in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Financial services regulatory in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Investment funds – hedge funds in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Investment funds – private equity funds in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Investment funds – real estate funds in Hong Kong
- Tier One in M&A in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Private equity in Hong Kong
- Tier One in Project finance in Hong Kong
- "In aviation, Clifford Chance is number one; they do great work."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Aviation Finance Asia Pacific
- "Their lawyers are very good and commercially articulate. You do not often see quality work like this."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Banking & Finance Asia Pacific
- "Their ability to tap into their global knowledge base and experience is a key strength."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Capital Markets Asia Pacific
- "The reason why we like working with them is the good mix of local and international lawyers in the team. That is very useful in addressing the needs of a global organisation whilst having insight to local practices."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Corporate/M&A & Private Equity Asia Pacific
- "Globally, they're very familiar with the energy and natural resources sectors."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Energy & Natural Resources Asia Pacific
- "They can cover a number of practice areas and have offices in various jurisdictions around the world, so whenever we have a problem, we use them as they are a true one-stop shop."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Investment Funds Asia Pacific
- "Their innovative thinking is their number-one strength. They take a commercial approach to the product and are rigorous in their analysis."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Islamic Finance Asia Pacific
- Antitrust & Competition
- Capital Markets
- Employment - Advisory, Litigation & Transactional
- Funds & Investment Management
- Intellectual Property
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Investigations, Enforcement & White Collar
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Telecommunications, Media & Technology