Paul Coates is a senior member of the International Commercial Arbitration Group.
Paul has advised on a wide range of international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations, both on an ad hoc basis and under the rules of major institutions, including the LCIA, ICC, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, LMAA and ICSID.
Paul's work spans many jurisdictions and economic sectors, with a particular focus on disputes arising out of large-scale construction and oil & gas projects.
- Advising an international energy company in respect of claims arising out of an offshore windfarm construction project (ICC arbitration).
- Advising a National Oil Company in relation to disputes arising out of several major oil & gas projects, including a major refinery upgrade.
- Advising a global real estate fund in relation to disputes arising out of an investment project in Russia (LCIA arbitration).
- Advising a Middle Eastern State-owned entity in relation to contractor claims arising from a large-scale commercial construction project.
- Advising an international oil & gas company in respect of claims arising out of a contract for the drilling and completion of a number of oil wells in Iraq (ICC arbitration).
- Advising an international oil & gas company in respect of a US$75 million claim advanced by a contractor arising out of an EPC contract for works in Saudi Arabia (ICC arbitration).
- Advising in BIT proceedings against the Arab Republic of Egypt, concerning the expropriation of investments relating to several luxury residential, hotel and shopping complexes.
- Advising a contractor in relation to claims arising out of the alleged wrongful termination of a road construction contract in Tanzania (UNCITRAL arbitration).
- Advising a UK plc in arbitration proceedings against the Kyrgyz Republic under the UK-Kyrgyz Republic BIT, regarding the expropriation of a gold mining licence in the Kyrgyz Republic (UNCITRAL arbitration).
- Advising an employer in the defence of US$100 million claims advanced by a contractor in respect of a termination of a luxury residential development in Eritrea (ICC arbitration).
- University of Nottingham / University of Queensland (LLB (Hons)) 2004
- Nottingham Law School (Legal Practice Course) 2005
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- Seconded to Clifford Chance Singapore 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2007
- Seconded to Clifford Chance Dubai 2009 to 2013
- Obtained Higher Rights of Audience 2014
- Society of Construction Law
- LCIA Young International Arbitrators Group Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- The UNCITRAL Rules on Transparency in Treaty-based Investor-State Arbitration: Continuing the Evolution of Investment Treaty Arbitration
International Arbitration Law Review
The UNCITRAL Rules on Transparency in Treaty-based Investor-State Arbitration
11 May 2014
The new ADCCAC arbitration rules - bringing ADCCAC in line with international practice
22 October 2013
Arbitration law update: The enforceability of one-sided jurisdiction clauses
3 December 2012