The competitive dynamics in the healthcare and life sciences industries are changing fast.
As the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemicals, medical devices and healthcare services sectors converge, strategic investors and multinational corporations are looking for innovative approaches to meet industry challenges, among others:
- Preparing for the wave of patent expiries over the near to medium term;
- Controlling R&D costs for targeted medicines and diagnostics while responding to demands to broaden the product portfolio;
- Advancing corporate objectives such as mergers and acquisitions, new product launches, divestitures and partnerships while looking for new efficiencies in the management of standard business processes; and
- Ensuring access to and complying with changing regulatory requirements in mature and emerging markets, particularly in the Middle East, China and India.
Established in the early 1990s, the Global Healthcare and Life Sciences sector team at Clifford Chance consists of more than 140 dedicated lawyers in 30 centres including Belgium, China, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Spain, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the United States.
As part of the firm's global matrix, members of the Global Healthcare and Life Sciences sector team specialise both in specific subsectors and practice areas in order to offer their clients the highest quality advice and solutions wherever they operate.
Over the past two decades the team has built a strong track record of helping industry leaders to solve complex, cross-border legal challenges. From its 'centre of excellence' based in Düsseldorf, the Global Health Care and Life Sciences team brings together market knowledge and specialist expertise from across the Clifford Chance network, allowing clients to benefit from the firm's unique ability to transfer best-practices from one jurisdiction to another whether it comes to executing critical business decisions, capitalizing on new opportunities or mitigating risks.
In addition to legal expertise, Clifford Chance's industry specialists have in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical, medical devices, chemicals and healthcare services sectors through their close links to trade associations. The involvement in relevant committees gives us the opportunity to make recommendations on legislation and industry codes of conduct.
Clifford Chance lawyers regularly speak at industry conferences and publish as well in legal and trade journals as in handbooks. Amongst others they have published
- “Handbuch des Pharmarechts" (“Guide for Pharmaceutical Law”), C.H. Beck (Autumn 2010);
- "Handbuch Compliance im Gesundheitswesen" ("Compliance Guide relating to Health Care"), C.H. Beck (2010);
- “Handbuch des Medizinprodukterechts” (“Guide for Medical devices law”), C.H. Beck, Munich (April 2003).
Having cultivated an expertise in the Healthcare and Life Sciences industry over nearly two decades and worked with many of the world's leading and emerging biotechnology, chemicals, medical device and health care services companies, we know the importance of anticipating regulatory and contractual issues in the context of corporate investment, finance, strategy and operations.