Clifford Chance, Brussels
Practice area Antitrust & competition, Intellectual property
Sector Consumer goods & retail, Technology, Telecommunications, Telecommunications, media & technology
Thomas Vinje specialises in European Union competition and intellectual property law, especially in high-technology matters.
Thomas advises major corporations regarding mergers, joint ventures, dominance matters, cartel cases, distribution and licensing practices, and competition and intellectual property litigation.
Particular experience in advising in relation to the information and communications technology industries.
Thomas practices mainly before the European Commission and the European Courts.
Thomas speaks regularly on European Union intellectual property and antitrust law, and has authored numerous articles and contributions to books on those topics. He sits on the Board of Editors for Computer und Recht International. He lectures in the International Copyright programme at the University of Amsterdam and in the International Business Law Postgraduate Program at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Samsung in abuse of dominance proceedings brought by the European Commission regarding Samsung's enforcement of standard essential patents against Apple
- FairSearch, a coalition of businesses and organisations aimed at defending competition in online and mobile search, in abuse of dominance proceedings against Google
- KONE in the Commission's investigation and subsequent proceedings before the General Court and the Court of Justice regarding a cartel in the elevator and escalator industry, as wellas in follow-on civil litigation in national courts
- Oracle on its hotly contested merger with Sun Microsystems, resulting in unconditional clearance following a Phase II merger investigation by the European Commission
- The European Committee for Interoperable Systems in abuse of dominance proceedings against Microsoft, resulting in the landmark 2007 General Court judgment upholding the Commission's 2004 decision in all material respects, and the Commission's 2009 commitment decision regarding Microsoft's tying of Windows and Internet Explorer.
Clifford Chance achieves success for KONE in groundbreaking damages litigation
25 November 2014
Clifford Chance advises major media and telecoms groups on joint ventures to develop online classifieds platforms
17 November 2014
- University of Washington (BA, Political Science and Norwegian) 1977
- Columbia Law School, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and James Kent Scholar 1982
- Joined Clifford Chance as Partner 2004
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2007
- Speaks Norwegian, English and German
- Member of the bars of Hawaii and California
- Member of the American Bar Association (ABA)
Thmas is ranked in the top tier of antitrust lawyers by Chambers and Legal 500
- He is is a leading expert on IP and IT issues in competition law. Clients say he is "very practical, and able to get a good understanding of our business very quickly."
Chambers Global 2013, Competition/European Law
- He has garnered a reputation for expertise in the hi-tech area, with commentators noting his excellent industry and technical understanding.
Chambers Europe 2012, Competition/European Law
- Experienced antitrust and technology lawyer Thomas Vinje is the key figure in Clifford Chance’s ‘excellent’ IT regulatory group
Legal500 2012, EU Regulatory
Global Intellectual Property Newsletter Issue 01/2015
21 January 2015
Private equity liability for antitrust fines
3 April 2014
The New EU Technology Licensing Rules
26 March 2014
Parents' liability for EU antitrust breaches of joint ventures confirmed
4 October 2013
Proposed Changes to EU Technology Licensing Rules
21 February 2013
Hong Kong enacts competition law
15 June 2012
Antitrust Review: September - October 2011
18 November 2011
Antitrust Review July - August 2011
6 September 2011
Addressing Standards Creation: Divergence or Convergence Across the Atlantic?
11 August 2011
Deadline for compliance with new rules on online privacy matters approaches
24 May 2011
The new UK Bribery Act: why you need to be prepared
4 April 2011
Key IP Issues for Foreign Companies Doing Business in China
23 February 2011
Under the Microscope - Published by mlex magazine
26 January 2011