Damian Bachor advises on complex antitrust matters, including in relation to multi-jurisdictional merger control, investigations by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, competition law compliance and tech regulation. He has worked in the EU and has particular interest in the intersection between competition law and life sciences as he holds a BSc in Pharmacology.
Damian's experience includes obtaining antitrust clearances and regulatory approvals in Australia and Europe for contentious cross-border M&A transactions. He has assisted in advising top tier domestic and international clients in the fuel, aviation, tech, consumer goods and energy sectors.
In addition to the practice of law, Damian co-leads Arcus Australia, Clifford Chance's diversity and inclusion network for LGBTQI+ colleagues and allies. He is involved in the Global Sustainability & ESG and Space Sector Working Groups, and co-authors ESG and space insights and articles.
Merger assessments and merger control advice work
- Advising Viva Energy in relation to its A$1.15 billion acquisition of OTR Group
- Advising Qatar Airways and British Airways on relevant antitrust immunity filings for their expanded joint business agreement
- Advising Oracle Corporation in relation to its US$28 billion acquisition of Cerner Corporation
- Advising Philip Morris International in relation to its US$16 billion acquisition of Swedish Match and the divestment of SMD Logistics pursuant to the commitments accepted by the European Commission
- Advising Amazon in relation to the European Commission's antitrust investigations which were settled by the commitments
- Advising multinational tech companies in the context of the European Commission and the Competition and Market Authority's investigations into alleged abuses of a dominant position
- Representing Lactalis Australia in relation to proceedings instituted by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission concerning the Dairy Code of Conduct
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- King's College London (BSc Pharmacology) 2010
- The College of Law, London (GDL, BPTC, LLB) 2012
- University of Sydney (LLM, International Business Law) 2017
- Joined Clifford Chance 2019
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales 2020
- Admitted to the Australian High Court Registry of Practitioners 2021
- Member of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- Member of the Law Society of New South Wales
Awards and citations
- 2023 OUTstanding Top 100 LGBTQ+ Future Leaders Role Model, INvolve
- 2023 GCR "Behavioural Matter of the Year" Award for advising Amazon in relation to the European Commission's antitrust investigations, which were settled by the commitments.