12 January 2017
Clifford Chance shines at Islamic Finance News Awards
Clifford Chance starts 2017 with a bang, taking home a range of deals including the coveted Deal of the Year at the Islamic Finance News (IFN) Awards, further cementing the firm's global authority in Islamic Finance
The awards come just weeks after Clifford Chance was named International Law Firm of the Year at the IFLR Middle East Awards 2016.
The firm gained the Deal of the Year award for advising on DP World Crescent's US$1.2 billion Senior Trust Certificates. DP World is one of the largest container terminal operators in the world and this was the first time that throughput services for container handling provided by a port have been used as the underlying asset for a sukuk issuance.
Across all categories, Clifford Chance was awarded:
- Deal of the Year (DOTY) – DP World Crescent US$1.2 billion Senior Trust Certificates
- Best Law Firm in Energy & Natural Resources
- Equity DOTY – Middle East Healthcare Company US$480 million IPO
- Indonesia DOTY – Perusahaan Penerbit SBSN Indonesia III 144A Senior Unsecured Wakalah Fixed Rate Trust Certificates
- IPO DOTY – Middle East Healthcare Company US$480 million IPO
- Musharakah DOTY – Noman Group US$32 million Diminishing Musharakah and Ijarah Financing
- Syndicated DOTY – EGA US$4.9 billion Commodity Murabaha based Syndicated Term Financing Facility
- UAE DOTY – DP World Crescent US$1.2 billion Senior Trust Certificates
- Africa DOTY – Yinson Production US$780 million Commodity Murabahah Financing
- Murabahah DOTY – Axiom Telecom Syndicated Finance
- Saudi Arabia DOTY – Jabal Omar Development SAR8 billion Istisnah Forward Lease.
The Middle East practices of Clifford Chance have also won a plethora of awards across its Banking & Finance and Capital Markets practices throughout the last 12 months. Most notably, the firm won: International Law Firm of the Year, Restructuring Deal of the Year and Restructuring Team of the Year at the IFLR Middle East Awards 2016; International Law Firm of the Year at the 2016 Corporate Counsel Middle East Awards; Best Islamic Law Firm at the Asset Triple A Islamic Awards 2016; two awards at the Innovation in Islamic Finance at the Euromoney Awards 2016 and Middle East Deal of the Year at the Airfinance Journal Awards 2016.