18 January 2013
Clifford Chance's Mark Shipman appointed to Hong Kong Government's Financial Services Development Council
Hong Kong: Leading international law firm Clifford Chance is pleased to confirm that Mark Shipman, Head of the Global Funds and Investment Management sector, has been appointed to the Hong Kong Government's Financial Services Development Council (FSDC) for a two year term.
"I am honoured to have been named a member of the Hong Kong Government's Financial Services Development Council," said Mark. "After working in Hong Kong and in the region for the past 15 years, I'm passionate about Hong Kong as a leading global financial centre. I look forward to contributing my first-hand knowledge of the financial and regulatory markets."
The Council is made up of 20 non-official members, plus the Chairman and the Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury. It will provide a platform to explore ways to help facilitate the further development of Hong Kong's financial services industry. This includes advising the Government on areas related to diversifying the financial services industry and enhancing Hong Kong's position and functions as an international financial centre.
The main functions include the following:
- Conducting policy research and industry surveys for the formulation of proposals to the Government and regulators.
- Working with regulatory and trade bodies to identify new opportunities for, and any constraints on, the sustainable growth and diversity of the financial services industry.
- Maintaining a dialogue with the relevant bodies on the Mainland and overseas to support Hong Kong's financial services industry in accessing new markets and growth areas.
- Facilitating the upgrading of skills and expertise through collaboration with education and training institutions, trade bodies and practitioners.
- Promoting, on the Mainland and overseas, Hong Kong's financial services industry and Hong Kong as an international financial centre through seminars, road shows, publications, and through active participation in international events.